My mojo has gone missing. I’ve been searching all over the house for it, but it’s well hidden. I did find the 2 extremely overdue library books, but no mojo. I’m doing ok without it, I’m just floundering a bit. Things are taking considerably longer to accomplish, I feel a bit out of sorts–like things aren’t getting done, and I find myself cursing uncontrollably lately. Loudly. Repeatedly. Sailors are blushing on my behalf.
And then I figured out why my mojo escaped. Because of this:
That is Princess the PMSing Laptop. Don’t know if I’ve ever posted a picture of Her Highness the Bitch (thank you iPhone, with your reliability and grace). I can’t really explain how her slow demise is making my life miserable, but lemme see if I can try.
- Something inside the machine, under the left hand, has been making a wet (!) gurgling sound. I smacked it last night, rather hard, and it stopped. I can say with a great deal of confidence that the sound will return today.
- Click…1,2,3,4…28,29,30…window opens. And lest you think I’m counting quickly, allow me to remind you that I’m a professionally trained musician and can keep a damned (see, there’s the swearing again) steady beat at 60 bpm. The shortest count is about 4 seconds, the longest well over 30 and then she crashes.
- I’ve been working on updating my resume. Four hours on Tuesday, two and a half of which were just waiting for her to catch up. I tried to continue last night, but got so frustrated I went and started working on our taxes at 9:30 at night. I need to have Le Resume in tomorrow for a volunteer position I dearly want.
- Working on the taxes is taking forever because half of what I need is on this machine and getting it out is like pulling teeth from a rhino…difficult and painful. See the irony? As soon as taxes are in and we have a refund (pleasepleaseohGodplease), she can be replaced. Wait a second…methinks she knows this…hmmm…
- Supposedly I have wicked fast internet now. I have not seen any indication of this, simply because the computer is too slow. Swear to GOD once she is replaced I’m getting fiber-optic internet, just so I can dance like a wood sprite with the joy of it all.
- It’s a good thing I have mad touch-typing skillz. The letters are wearing off the keys one by one. Eh, who needs an “n?” I only have two in my name!
- Have I mentioned the constant crashing?
- I got my inbox down to zero a week ago; right now I have roughly 80 emails to process and/or answer. Same with posts in my reader, except there the number is well into the hundreds. I don’t like the feeling of my large intestine trying to throttle my brain because of the length of time it takes to accomplish a single email, so I’ve been avoiding it.
So, all in all, I’d rather brush my teeth with a rabid porcupine than sit and work in front of this machine. And on top of it all? We have our “Come to Jesus” meeting this afternoon with the school about accommodations for A.
Applying keyboard to forehead in 3…2…1…
Um, who requires a resume for a volunteer position? Unless it’s something that could evolve into a paying one, don’t THEY need YOU more than YOU need THEM? Just askin’ . . .
Good luck with the resume- I used to do them professionally if you want me to look it over. (Hello! HR Chick here!!) And go kick the school into shape this afternoon- it’s about time they started doing what needs to be done so that A gets what he needs!!
Sending good thoughts for you this afternoon. And save up the money to buy a new laptop…it will regain your mojo, perhaps.
Hang in there. Princess won’t be an issue much longer. And your meeting will go well. I know this. Mine went well yesterday, so there ya go. 🙂
Thou needs an Apple iMac, pronto.
I’ve been calling this POS Princess the Second for the past few weeks. It’s pissing me off BIG TIME!!! I’ll definitely be using my long holiday weekend to shop for a new computer. Good luck with your shopping, too.
Do you ever listen to Car Talk on NPR? How I WISH they did computer repair consults and you were a caller. The idea of this is making LOL right now!!!
That is all…
*lovingly strokes her MacBook named Maya*
“I’d rather brush my teeth with a rabid porcupine … ” BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA! That was by far the best line I have heard in a while! Well, aside from the one that starts “nice shoes…” but that’s another story. Good luck with the school and with the computer. happy mac thoughts to you…